- 00.11.02 Beth is watching I, CLAUDIUS for (another) podcast joke purposes and rewatching COMMUNITY and recommends y’all do so as well.
- 00.23.10 Sujoy watched the Chris Hemsworth Netflix action movie, EXTRACTION.
- 00.26.45 Amrita has seen some stuff but she doesn’t remember any of it, so never mind. She recommends you watch Bon Appetit.
- 00.33.55 Asim is rewatching THE WIRE.
- 00.40.32 The Main Review: DUPLICATE.
We recorded Episode 21 slightly earlier as we’re all off for a small break, but we didn’t want to leave you guys without a good ear time.
- This week we are talking about:
- The Manikarnika teaser and Kangana’s scorched earth approach to marketing
- Loveyatri and Ayush’s twitter hack
- Line up for Koffee with Karan season 74
- Sujoy talks spoiler free about Andhadun
- Our main review is Hum Hain Rahi Pyaar Ke as we all needed a bit of levity in life and we are sure you do too!
If there are movies or guests you would like to see featured, do remember to drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Give Away: If you want to win 1 of 3 Sui Dhaaga- Made In India goodie bags, head over to https://www.kenz-now.com/campaign/win-sui-dhaaga-made-in-india-goodie-bag/
Gulaab Gang released last friday and provides the unique pairing of Bollywood screen Godesses Madhuri Dixit and Juhi Chawla squaring off against each other.
Released in a very crowded weekend of 2 other releases (Queen and Total Siyapaa) but pushed by a massive Marketing and PR push, Gulaab Gang has performed below most people’s expectations.
This episode we chat with Anisha Jhaveri, about why that happened? If actresses of the 90’s have the skill set required to pick the right projects? Or was it a case of director Soumik Sen taking too much on for his debut feature.
You can check out Anisha’s write up on PopXo by clicking here.
Listen/Download/ Stream our Upodcast below, Or subscribe to our stream in iTunes and never miss a beat!
Having grown up in the 90’s it’s virtually impossible to not be huge fans of Madhuri Dixit, probably the last legendary heroine Bollywood has produced that exuded old world charm together with an abundance of talent, which made her reign supreme for more than a decade.
Although her return to Bollywood with Aaja Nachle had it’s merits, it didn’t light the box office on fire and since then we havent’ seen Madhuri on the big screen. But that is about to change with her taking on roles in Gulab Gang with Juhi Chawla and Dedh Ishqiya, until then we have her doing a special appearance for Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani and she clearly bring back her sparkle on screen.
- Ranbir Kapoor is such a charismatic performer, it’s the first time someone has really been able to take away attention from him.
- Can we all agree not to call this an Item number? Madhuri deserves more than that!
- We did an Upodcast interview with Ranbir that we will be posting the week of release which is very soon so keep your eyes on that!
Until then, let us know what you think of the song in the comment section below!
The trailer for the most looked forward to movie for the rest of the year is finally out after so much teasing and marketing strategizing. And when you finally watch it, you wonder, why didn’t they just show us the trailer straight away without all the ridiculous “We don’t have a title yet” strategy as the trailer really does stand on it’s own.
Lush visuals of Ladhak, the famous SRK arm stretch in London, a bubbly Anushka Sharma in booty shorts, Katrina Kaif playing the lover lost who you danced with in the rain in a bikini top laced over Shahrukh’s voice over of the poem written by producer Aditya Chopra that was released a couple of weeks ago with the poster, accompanied by the guitar of an AR Rahman soundtrack.
First some quick thoughts before I get into a bigger talking point:
- I think my eyeballs might pop out from all the beautiful images on screen and I don’t just mean the lovely ladies but the locations (London hasn’t shot so beautifully in ages and hey I live here), the Royal Enfield and Harley Davidson bikes, even SRK scruffy beard. (Not such a fan of the cut off gloves)
- Doesn’t that Free coffee sign behind Katrina Kaif ruin a bit of the visual? Even more so as the wafting of her hair feels like someone just opened the door to the local Starbucks.
- The trailer is pretty spoilerific: You can figure out much of the storyline with this trailer alone and especially the yearning way the Katrina shots are taken.
- I don’t want to see SRK wear a fedora. Fedora’s are for douches, period.
- I’m calling it now; this will be my favorite soundtrack of the year. No one does what AR Rahman can do musically, I will fight people if they claim differently
- Still not too sure about the poem itself, but this might be because of the horrible translations SRK was tweeting which made me unfollow him.
- Cool Guys don’t look at explosions indeed
I think I’ve cracked the ShahRukh Khan mystery to a certain degree after watching this trailer.
Like most of us he has 2 distinct sides to his personality. The first is the ambitious orphan underdog/outsider that came to Mumbai to chase the love of his live (Lets’ call him Scrapper ShahRukh) and the other is the guy that became the biggest superstar in the Indian Film Industry after a certain Big B (AKA Superstar SRK).
Scrapper ShahRukh takes chances, give us an abundance of emotions, can romance a tree and make us believe that his mom did actually say that there are 2 paths in life, one good and one bad, the bad one is easy, the good one is hard but the only right one. (Darr, Baazigar, Swades, Chak De India)
Superstar SRK on the other hand has grand ambitions as a producer is cockier, loves his action mixed with his own brand of smarmy charm and wants to create the biggest film and effects studio in India. (He also wears Fedora’s and makes gay security guards think he’s wearing a Prince Albert)
In the past few years Scrapper SRK didn’t want to get bogged down in Raj/Rahul roles and after loosing some of his long-term collaborators, his inherent competitive streak mutated to Hulk like proportions making him implode into Superstar SRK what seemed like a permanent transformations.
Even working with Karan Johar and to a certain degree Aditya Chopra, we end up getting disjointed movies that never find a compromise with that internal tug of war. (Rab Ne Banadi Jodi almost being a play by play of this theory)
When Superstar SRK takes over a project (as the superstars doesn’t star in movies but projects), he will include in the package a blitzkrieg media campaign; an oversaturation of “I am the best and the rest is shit” quotes, and promote the movie in every village, country, city and social media platform until he wears himself out physically and emotionally.
I strongly believe most people don’t like this Shahrukh. (not including fanboys and girls as they are crazy loons)
Only the relationship people that knew him from way back when (Farah Khan, Ashutosh Gowariker, Aziz Mirza, Juhi Chawla and Yash Chopra) can tap into Scrapper Shahrukh again and when he let’s go of the reins, cinematic magic happens.
All that to say, I’m really happy we seem to be getting scrapper Shahrukh as I’ve really missed him.
Movie is in UK theaters 13th of November.
Color us EXCITED.
Here is a write up we wrote for HeyUGuys so slightly adapting (adding the Jism 2 promo as you never have enough Sunnyshine in your life) and reposting since we already posted the Joker Trailer, but do head over to HeyUGuys if you want our thoughts in more detail.
Plus it’s another opportunity to gaze at those awesome Heroine posters!
Ek Tha Tiger New Song Promo: Banjaara
As I mentioned on twitter: “Can we just go ahead and give a nobel prize to who ever thought of putting Katrina Kaif in a kilt?” and a long slit black skirt…and a yellow and black hockey outfit (I know it’s not hockey but seriously what are you guys paying attention to??) In all seriousness, the promos are getting better and better and I can’t wait for Ek Tha Tiger!
Son Of Sardaar Trailer:
Not too hot about this one although I do like all the stars involved. I don’t know what it is. Maybe the boring voice over or just having seen Ajay Devgn fight bad guys hanging on a wire for what feels like decades. Also not too hot on the Sonakshi- Ajay pairing, maybe we need to see more to get me excited.
The thing I am super psyched about is seeing Juhi Chawla back on screen! Hai Allah, JUHI CHAWLA!
Jism 2: Dialogue Promos
If I have one pet peeve it’s really bad dubding, probably one of the reasons I never watched any pakistani movies. And although the voice of Sunny Leone was supposed to be Dubbed by director Pooja Bhatt herself, it doesnt seem to be the case in these promos, unless her accents has vastly improved since her movie career.
Randeep Hooda has the usual expression “Why Do I not get better movies”-expression on his face, the actors actors seem to have no idea what the vocab being used actually means which in the case of the wonderful Sunny Leone is probablyt the case. Still looking forward to this one but should stick to just listening to the pretty amazing soundtrack! Ali Azmat Woot Woot!
Trying her hardest to not make this movie still feel like the “one Aishwarya walked out” of Kareena Kapoor ,who we all have to admit is the bigger draw for audiences, looks absolutely ravishing on these first few posters. The trailer should be releasing any time now. Looks pretty, pretty, pretty good!
Let us know what you think about the posters and trailer in the comment section below!